Job Title: Music Director
This is a salaried, part time position that is responsible for the overall music program of the church, initiating programs, arranging for rehearsals, special music, etc. He or she will work closely and cooperatively with the Pastor in planning music appropriate to the church's liturgy and to the service. Music for Sunday morning worship services and other special events is discussed and coordinated with the Pastor prior to rehearsals.
The music director works under the supervision of the Pastor and Board of Elders. The members of River of LIFE Lutheran Church believe that the position of Music Director is a positive representative of this church in the community at large and the individual who fills this position must have the poise and appearance necessary to be a positive representative.
- As a Christian with a faith in God as Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer, the Music Director shall have an abiding love and compassion for other human beings and an ability to communicate with others.
- The Music Director should have the desire to be part of the church staff, providing support to the overall ministries of this church.
- The Music Director should be able to demonstrate the ability to work efficiently with volunteers.
- The Music Director should be able to multi-task while being attentive to details and deadlines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The music director plans the music, runs practice sessions and is the point person for the church sound system.
- Maintain records as required by CCLI license.
- Provide leadership, encouragement and development of congregational singing.
- The music director is responsible for the music for regularly scheduled special services, such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday and Christmas Eve, and for special events as directed by the Pastor and Board of Elders.
- For unscheduled special services for which he/she is asked to provide music the music director may negotiate a special fee with the parties involved. This includes weddings, funerals, memorial services, and other private functions held at the church.
- The music director orders supplies related to the church music program as necessary. Unusual or extraordinary materials requests are cleared with a vote of the Board of Directors.
- The music director is responsible for staying within budgeted funds for the music program and shall not exceed such funds without Board approval.
- Other special reports may be requested on occasion such as anticipated expenditures.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Organizing, Scheduling, And Orchestrating Instrumentalists:
o Recruit and develop instrumentalists, to ensure an adequate number of band members for each Sunday.
o Create setlists and provide copies of music to band members in advance of each Sunday worship service
o Rehearse with the band as necessary.
o Edit and prepare lyrics for Sunday Service worship software
Organizing, Scheduling, and Nurturing Adult Vocalists:
o Recruit and nurture the musical gifts of adults of all ages.
o Recruit and schedule a broad group of vocalists, with particular attention given to increasing the number of vocalists in the rotation.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree in music or related field or equivalent experience
- Two years of experience at directing a church band or choir
- Demonstrated ability to lead, direct, and inspire others and a strong spirit of cooperation.
- Salary $950/ month
- Part-time position (estimated average of 15-20 hours per week)
- Flexible hours/days worked per week
- No paid vacation, holidays or other benefits
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for this position, you can email your resume to email@example.com or you can choose to apply using Indeed or LinkedIn.